Reading Book Guide
The Ultimate Basic Training Guidebook: Tips, Tricks, and Tactics for Surviving Bootcamp, by Sgt. Michael Volkin.
The Ultimate Basic Training Guidebook is a comprehensive, practical, and easy-to-follow survival guide written specifically for every new or prospective recruit about to enter any branch of the armed forces. It offers step-by-step instructions and solutions, including helpful charts and graphics, for how to prepare both physically and mentally for boot camp. We hope these thought-provoking questions lead to some lively book discussions.
- What are the mental and physical challenges that basic training provides recruits?
- What are the best physical exercises to prepare you for basic training?
- What is the goal of the drill sergeant and why do they act the way they do?
- Why has the military instituted the battle buddy system? Name some advantages and disadvantages to this system.
- What is Day 1 and why is it often the worst day for recruits?
- Name some tips that will help you through the gas chamber.
- List some ways to prepare for basic training in advance.
- Discuss the most common "do not's" for recruits.
- Discuss some items that you should never leave basic training without, and some that you should.
- Discuss how each branch of the military differs.
- Discuss why basic training has been such a consistent regime over the years and how basic training should be revised based on the latest military operations.