We hope these thought-provoking questions lead to some lively book discussions.
- Why would God bless Gene Moore with such a phenomenal athletic gift and then allow an injury that would prevent Gene from fulfilling his dream?
- Did Gene Moore ever realize that his value in God's eyes was not determined by his athletic ability?
- The theme of jealousy is found throughout the Bible. How did jealousy affect both Ward and Gene at different times in their lives, and what impact did it have on their relationship as brothers?
- How did Gene Moore reflect Christ's love for us when he befriended his German enemy, Heinrich Mueller?
- Gene's ankle injury was life-changing. As Christians, how are we to respond when our life is changed by an unexpected event that turns our world upside down?
- How can God use shattered dreams to change our lives for good?
- The Bible tells us, "A friend loves at all times," and Gene Moore and Ray Laws became loyal friends. How did Gene show Ray what a true friend he really was during their last game together?
- What Biblical lesson did Heinrich teach Gene about the importance of leaving a lasting legacy as a good husband and father versus the fleeting legacy of a baseball hero?
- How did God use Judy Jenkins' field of broken dreams to redeem Gene Moore from the pit and give him a second chance at life?
- How would Gene Moore's life have been different if he had fully given his field of broken dreams to God instead of carrying them alone for all those years?
- How has reading Playing with the Enemy influenced your Christian walk?
Developed by Sandy Batchelar