Reading Book Guide
Surviving Military Separation: A 365-Day Activity Guide for the Families of Deployed Personnel, by Marc CB Maxwell
Surviving Military Separation is an activity guidebook created especially for family members of deployed personnel. The book's setup allows the reader the ability to break down the deployment into weeks instead of months which gives the family member a chance to take the deployment one step at a time. We hope these thought-provoking questions lead to some lively book discussions.
- Which activities were the most fun to complete with your family/children?
- Of the activities listed, which required the most/least prep time? How did the prep work keep you busy and focused?
- What advantages did Serviceman Sam provide during the deployment?
- What kinds of things did you write in your journal? What did you learn about yourself as you wrote down your feelings?
- What have you noticed about others using Surviving Military Separation? Are they more upbeat compared to those who aren't using the guide? Why do you think that is?
- Is there any special significance that can be attached to the fact that the author is prior service and is currently a Guidance Counselor for the Department of Defense? How do you think he knew that family members could use a book like this?
- If you could have spent one more day with your service member before they deployed, what activity would you choose to do together? Why?
- What do you think your deployed service member gained from knowing you were completing the activity book?
- What affect did counting down the final weeks of your service member's deployment have on you? How did the break down of the activity book into weeks help you?
- How does Surviving Military Separation effectively help you move forward in your life while your loved one is deployed?
- Did this activity book help you organize your life during this deployment? How?
- Do you think that Surviving Military Separation made you more independent? Stronger? How?
- Do you feel that this book gave you a strategy or a plan to make it through a deployment separation? Were the activities meaningful, directional, and purposeful? Why?
- How did Surviving Military Separation help you become more mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually healthy?
- How can we propose this book to others in our community? How can we get the Family Readiness Group or Chain of Command to sponsor this book?