Author Topic: Gettysburg's Forgotten Cavalry Actions by Eric Wittenberg  (Read 4649 times)

SavasBeatieAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gettysburg's Forgotten Cavalry Actions by Eric Wittenberg
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:05:56 AM »
Visit the Gettysburg's Forgotten Cavalry Actions book page: http://tinyurl.com/6b3pwcg and read the author's interview: http://tinyurl.com/7az2qud. Discuss this book with the authors here!

BSteele

• View Profile
Re: Gettysburg's Forgotten Cavalry Actions by Eric Wittenberg
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 01:48:34 PM »
I am reading this book now. I love hard backs and bought a copy through the History Book Club. I have the original from long ago, and have been comparing them. This new edition is worlds better in every way, including presentation. I am learning a lot, and am really pleased this has been updated. Keep up the good work Mr. Wittenberg and Savas Beatie! RES

Sarah

• View Profile
    • On Marketing
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 09:23:18 AM »
Thanks for stopping by. You are lucky you got the hardcover through the book club; that's the only place where the hardcover is available! It is a great book, and the new edition is nominated for an award by the Army Historical Foundation. You can read more about it on Eric Wittenberg's blog here: http://civilwarcavalry.com/?p=3133

Also, thought you might be interested to know that we will be re-releasing another one of Eric Wittenberg's books this year - Protecting the Flank: The Battles for Brinkerhoff’s Ridge and East Cavalry Field, July 2 - 3, 1863 (http://tinyurl.com/64yond2)

Here are some of the new edition additions:

- There are several thousand words worth of new material in the main text.
- There is an additional map and additional illustrations.
- The walking/driving tours now feature GPS coordinates, which the original version did not include.
- Most importantly, there is a 6,500 word essay addressing the true purpose of J.E.B. Stuart's presence on East Cavalry Field on July 3, 1863.

I know many people will be looking forward to the Stuart section!

EricWittenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 03:53:50 PM »
I am reading this book now. I love hard backs and bought a copy through the History Book Club. I have the original from long ago, and have been comparing them. This new edition is worlds better in every way, including presentation. I am learning a lot, and am really pleased this has been updated. Keep up the good work Mr. Wittenberg and Savas Beatie! RES

Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm really pleased to hear that you like the new edition, and I likewise am pleased to hear that you like the hardcover version. That was a very unexpected surprise for me too.

Denny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 02:12:20 PM »
Eric, I forgot to ask you something when we talked at the Show in Mansfield last Saturday.  I need to know who was the greatest cavalry commander of the civil war.  When you tell me, I can tell Sarah.
I never mentioned that I always read your Rantings Blog.  I have the same problem with my library that you have.  3600 books, mostly history, and no one in the family cares for history.  I wish I could give you the answer.
Denny

I'm enjoying "You Stink".  Good Job!!

CW4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 10:28:19 AM »
Well there's an appropriate book to start with baseball season here! Enjoyed Wittenberg's updates on that book on his blog for some time now.

EricWittenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 12:48:47 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying You Stink!, Denny. I will be curious to hear your thoughts when you're done with it.

Denny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 11:36:55 AM »
Eric, way to go on the Army Historical Foundation award.  Awards on both editions.  Does that happen very often?

Congratulation, and keep writing, so we can keep reading.

Econo

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 07:27:16 AM »
This is an excellent pptaogrohh considering the area where it's located. The location is heavy wooded with a narrow road running through it. Kudos to the Norwich Grad for pulling the chesnuts out of the fire..! I hardly knew of any cavalry actions prior to my staff ride experience this past summer. Gettysburg is a must see. Thanks for sharing this! It brought back many good memories of the class & trip.

EricWittenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 11:14:06 AM »
Thanks, Denny. I appreciate the kind words.

Eric