Author Topic: Book show  (Read 1432 times)

CW4ever

• View Profile
Book show
« on: April 04, 2012, 12:21:51 PM »
Eric, I love your Rantings blog. I'll try to catch the PA Books talk you're giving at the end of the month. It's a great show and that should be a good episode. Anything new youre working on now?

EricWittenberg

• View Profile
Re: Book show
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 03:56:12 PM »
Thanks very much for your kind words. The blog is very much a labor of love, and it's been a great place for me to try things out over the years.

As I said in response to a question on another thread, i am about to start editing and annotating a set of letters by one of Custer's staff officers, who was killed in action during Sheridan's 1864 Valley Campaign. The letters are some of the best that I have ever read, and I am excited about them.

CW4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:20:42 PM »
Thank you for the information. That's what I like to hear, a completely new take on something from an unexpected, untapped source. I'll keep an eye out for it.

EricWittenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 02:19:52 PM »
The letters are by Lt. Edward Granger. Granger was commissioned as an officer in the 5th Michigan who joined the staff of Custer in 1863. Granger wrote very insightful, detailed letters, and they're really good. His description of the Battle of Yellow Tavern is the best one I have ever seen. Granger was KIA at the Battle of Front Royal in August 1864.

These letters are not in any repository, and until they were compiled by my collaborator, they have not been seen outside the family. When they are published, it will be the first time that they will be available to the public. That's part of what I like about the project.