Author Topic: Notes  (Read 1395 times)

CW4ever

• View Profile
Notes
« on: June 06, 2012, 12:14:18 PM »
Mr. Clemens: Thought I'd jump in here with a question about the Carman manuscript. What surprises you most about Carman's writing as you are reading through it and working on the Endnotes?

Keep up the good work, looking forward to Vol.2!

tom clemens

• View Profile
Re: Notes
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 07:20:34 AM »
I'm glad you did jump right in.  Carman constantly amazes me in the amount of work he put into the manuscript.  Writing in an era of typewriters being the most advanced technology, no internet, no copiers, no word processing packages, he labored diligently to produce his manuscript.  He sought out people, wrote hundreds, probably thousands of letters, and read dozens of books, maybe hundreds.  He was fair, didn't discriminate between union and Confederate accounts and veterans, and honest, calling out what he perceived as mistakes and bad judgement, praising successful achievements. He must have walked the battlefield many, many times to get such a thorough understanding of the topography.  Let me give you an example - When writing about the famous Lost Order, S.O. 191, he wrote to Sam Pittman, the Union staff officer that identified the author of the document.  Pittman told him how he and Robert Chilton, Lee's aide that wrote 191, knew each other.  Primary source research, you can't beat it!  A great man and a great historian. 
Thanks
Tom Clemens
Keedysville, MD

CW4ever

• View Profile
Re: Notes
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 12:37:20 PM »
Mr. Clemens: Thank you. This is great information. Sure makes us appreciate his hard work, given all the technology luxuries we have today!

How is Vol.2 coming along? Looks like a September release from the website. Looking forward to seeing it complete.