Author Topic: Maps series  (Read 1584 times)

mfroning

• View Profile
Maps series
« on: July 02, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
Hi Brad,

First off, I want to thank you for your wonderful work on your map series - I spent some time at Gettysburg and Antietam this past week - and must say your Gettysburg companion was very helpful and instrumental in getting a lay of the land and touring the field!

I certainly could have used your new work to tramp around Antietam as well - I look forward to using this edition when I visit again.

I did have one comment as far as the Gettysburg edition goes - I did long for a few more maps that showed less detail but a wider scope for context. I think the detailed maps lend to thinking about the individual efforts on the Gettysburg field as separate accounts (fighting at the wheat-field, devils den, peach orchard, etc).  I think it would be more helpful to have wider-version maps interspersed with the detailed maps to show the inter-connected nature of command decisions at the battlefield command level.

But all and all - GREAT series and thank you for your hard work!

Mike Froning

Sarah

• View Profile
    • On Marketing
Re: Maps series
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 04:39:33 PM »
Hello Mike.

Thank you for your comments. They are very much appreciated.

Your comments about some wider scope maps is a good point, and one that we have actually bounced around with in the office too. Who knows, maybe a version 2.0 book in the Savas Beatie Military Atlas Series down the road will incorporate this and other similar tweaks.

Author Brad Gottfried has almost been buried in orders for personally signed copies of The Maps of Antietam. The response rate has been overwhelming, but we know customer are grateful for the extra offer. We are also working on many book signing events. Please refer to the author event calendar on our homepage to see his July Antietam events: http://savasbeatie.com/index.htm

Please keep this in mind as well - We are working on a Savas Beatie author Maryland Campaign event at Antietam for the anniversary, and would love to see you there. Will be lot of fun, and include the release of The Maryland Campaign, Volume 2 edited by Tom Clemens.

Thanks again.

Sarah

bgottfried

• View Profile
Re: Maps series
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 07:09:26 AM »
Thanks for your suggestions, Mike.  I like your idea and will discuss it with Ted Savas (Publisher of Savas Beatie) as an addition to our future editions. 

The books only get better with these types of comments.

Brad